Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Let's Talk Books!

A couple of weeks ago I was at the home of the Pistol Packin' Presbytera and was browsing through a homeschool catalog she had out. I saw a book in there entitled Ballet Shoes, which I had read as a child and enjoyed very much. I'd almost forgetten about it, but now I want my daughters to read it! I thought it might be fun to talk about some not-so-famous books that you enjoyed and want to share with others.

Another book I enjoyed as a child was Twenty and Ten, by Claire Huchet Bishop. It is a story about children at a Catholic school in France hiding some Jewish children among them during WWII. It's an introduction to the Holocaust without the more mature themes of life in a concentration camp, etc. This book does not seem to be available for purchase at all anymore, so I think we will have to find it at the library.

Which is another topic of conversation! Do you need to own all your books, or can you take them out of the library? I feel the need to own books, because I like to re-read books and because we are terrible about taking books back to the library! (blushes) I think our home needs some built-in bookshelves!

4 comments:

Presbytera said...

I rarely, rarely read a book the second time. I also don't like to see a movie for a second time....unless it is Princess Bride or one of the classic musicals. If I can't order a specific book from the library, I generally will substitute another choice. Unless we're talking textbooks, then I will purchase it.

Anonymous said...

Ah books. After seventeen years of homeschooling, not to mention several bookshelves full of theology, we've been using the library much more than ever. For one thing, the library system in south central WI is simply amazing. Everything is online; the service is efficient. When the system doesn't have a book, they go out of the system (Florida, Louisiana!) to get the book for us. And you can't beat the price. I've become much more picky about the books I buy--usually it is limited to reference books or books I know I'll read more than once.

Bruce

Marie N. said...

I'm opting to own books more of the time. The libraries are divesting themselves of many of the good old books in favor of pablum and drivel laced with contempo-scocio-psycho speak.

Not that I have any strong opinions!

My favorite childhood book is _Singing Wheels_ by Mabel O'Donnell. It was used at PS71 in the bronx in 1949 as a reader, I think in my grandmother's sixth grade class.

It is filled with wonderful illustrations which, together with the prose, helped me learn about leather tanning, horse training, shearing, carding, spinning, weaving and dying, maple sap taps, lye making, tallow candles and so much much more.

School readers today shortchange their users.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Barb, at least you are consistent!

Bruce, thank you for stopping by! The Cleveland Public Library system would be very obliging, I'm sure, in acquiring books from other libraries. And since my husband used to work for the company that provides the software for most of the library systems in the world (OCLC) I know it is very wonderful! :)

But I have to agree with Marie that I like to own a book. If you own it, it's yours forever (unless your daughter destroys it, which is a whole 'nother story.) I go back to some books to read and some books to look up information. I like having them right there when I need them! Plus, I want a book I love to be mine, a copy I know and love and know its history. Hmmm, I have a thing for books, I guess!

Marie, school readers may shortchange their users, but too many parents don't seem to care, or know any better, or I don't know what. The more I have done things here in my small community, the more I am appalled and disgusted with the school system, parents and kids. I guess I had better stop here and blog about it sometime maybe instead!